This is the veganized version of a classical lebanese Sandwich.
You could you various kinds os saitan. I normaly use the a make the old fashioned way, kneading a flourdough und running water.
You could also substiude an easy tahinbased-sauce for the soy-yogurt-sauce.
The salad would get more authentic if you ad some pickels and mint.
Juu's vegan Schwerma
4 pieces of pita-bread
Irgendients for the raosted saitan:
ca. 300 g seitan cut into thin strips
1 onion cut into thin rings
3 tbs sesameseeds
2 tbs paprikapowder
1 tsp powdered garlic
1 tbs instant vegetable stock powder
pepper, salt, and chili powder for seasoning
2-3 tbs canolaoil for frying
Irgrdients for the salad:
1 read bell pepper
2 medium siced tomatoes
Ingrients for the soy-yogurt-garlic-sauce:
1 1/2 cup plain soy-yogurt
1/2 cup canoalaoil, flaxseedoil or oliveoil
2-4 big cloves of garlic, or more or less depending on your taste and on you plans for the next day
salt and pepper for seasoning
- In a non-stick-pan, roast the sesame until it stars to smell nice an gets a golden brwon colour. (Be carefull not to burn it.)
- Ad the canolaoil, saitan and oinions and roast until nice and crispy.
- Add the spices and roast for an other 1-2 minutes. If the saitan seems too dry after yo've added the spices ad a bit oil until it looks nice and shiny.
- For the salad, cube the vegetables and mix well..
- For the garlic-sauce, finely chop the garlic and ad to a food-processor or blender along with the soy-yogurt, the oil an blend until totaly nice an smooth. Season with salt and pepper
- Wrap your favourite combination of salad, saitan and sauce between a piece of pitabread and enjoy.