Donnerstag, 9. September 2010
Kohlrouladen (German Cabbage Rolls)
This is a nice and savoury autumn dish made of filled savoy cabbage leaves, stuffed with a TVP based filling.
10 savoy cabbage leaves, cut the stalks of
1/2 cup of firm tofu, pressed and mashed with your hands or a fork
2 medium siced oinions, diced
1 cup of TVP, soaked and drained
1/2 cup of rice (you could use basmati, short grain, pre boiled or what ever you have on hand because it will get overcooked and mashy anyway)
2 tbs of soy sauce
2 tsp of liquid smoke
aprox. 1/2 cup of nooch
salt and pepper for seasoning
2-4 cups of vegetable stock
2 tbs canola oil
1.Blanch the cabbage leaeves for 1-2 minutes and cool under running water.
2.Combine all the other ingredients eccept of the 1 1/2 oinions, the oil and the stock to make a filling.
3. But about a small hand of filling on top of a cabbage leave.( The amount of filling varies from leave to leave because they tend to have differnt sices) Wrap the sides around the filling and roll it like you would do with a spring roll or something.
4. In a oven-save pot, roast the remaining onions with the canola oil until the look a bit burned.
5.Put the cabbage rolls on top of the oinions and try to place same so tightly, that there's no space left between them.
6.Put a plate on top of the rolls, to prevent them from falling apart during the cooking.
7. Cover the cabbage rolls with the stock and put a oven-save lit on top.
8. Put them in the oven for aprox. 2 hours at 160 °C.
9. Serve with cooked potatoes.