Mittwoch, 3. November 2010

Vegan Mofo Day 3: A Day without pictures and cooking but some thoughts about food and culture

Today i didn't have enoungh time to cook becuase it was a busy day at university but I managed to have enough ryebred with "Klatschkäs" and "Apfelkraut" so I wasn't starving today.
Normaly food plays a very important role in my life.
I'm interested in food as long as I can remember and I sloly started collecting cookbooks, when I was ten years old.
Since then I always tried to find out new stuff about food, explore international cuisines and eatingcultures. Even if I liked the traditional food, my grandma and mother prepared ocaisionally, I was always looking for something new and thought, that german food was boring.
Two years ago just a few month before I started to be a vegan, I read this book "Die deutschen und ihre Küche", written by the most important german food critic named "Wolfram Siebeck".
He is now 82 years old and has his very own ideas, opinions, prejudices and thughts about food.
He even writes, that vegetarism or veganism is a loss of culture because eating meat is an important part of it.
But I don't want to write about prejudices on veganism here.
I bought his book, because I liked him and his funny stile of writing and I wanted to know what german eating culture and cuisine realy are and how they developed during history.
As I history student I have to say, that his book is very ahistorical as he leaves out large periods of time and basicaky jumps from thought to thought like he was telling a story to his grandchildren.
The thing is, that his final conclusion is, that german cuisine has never been something that's worthy in a culinary sense and that you should just forget about it, if you want to cook something nice.
If you would ask me after this third the of my project, I wouldn't say so.
German cuisine might be easy, it may has a lack of roasty flavours and sometimes the apearance of the food might be able to make you puke. But as easy as it is, it is healty, cheap and has some very nice and clear flavoures that noone should miss.
I promis you to charge my cam tomorrow and to take some pictures of the food I am going to cook.
Here's a short overview of what I've planned for the rest of the week:

1. Reibekuchen mit Apfelmus, Rübenkraut und Schwarzbrot (potatopanckes with applesauce, sugar beet molasses and ryebread)

2. Heringsstipp mit Pellkartoffeln (my own vegan version of german herring with apples, onions, and potatoes cooked with the peal on)

3. Rheinische Linsensuppe (sweat and sour lentilsoup)

4. Rheinische Schippelbohnen (fermented green beens with pureed potatoes and pears)

5. Rheinische Sauerbraten (vegan sour meatloaf with a special gravy flavoured with raisins).

6. Puddingteilchen (a sweet pretzel made of a yeasted puffpastry and filled with vanilla custard)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen